My Top 10 Tips on the Future of Strategy
Just when it seems like the world can't possible change much more, we turn a corner and we're hit with a new challenge. In an ever more tightly connected world, big changes seem to happen more frequently. Pandemics, social upheaval, economic crises, the list goes on. But how can we stay relevant during times like these?
As Creative Strategist, it's my job to make sure my clients remain ahead of the curve during these turbulent times, which means adapting communications and approaches to fit the times.
The current pandemic and subsequent crises caused by COVID-19 will be around for the meantime and this is heavily impacting the consumer market. According to Oliver Wright, Managing Director & Head of Global Consumer Goods at Accenture:
"...new consumer behaviour may possibly stretch for much of the current decade."
So, it looks like there will indeed be a "new normal" moving forward. But what are some of the key points that will keep you ahead of the curve?
Below are my Top 10 Tips you need to know for a post-pandemic strategy:
Tap into the heightened sense of community spirit. Despite quarantine policies forcing people to stay apart, people are becoming more conscious of their impact on the community. When responding to this change, you may find it necessary to drive values surrounding empathy and compassion in your communications.
- Health, wellbeing and hygiene are seeing a significant increase in demand. Responding to these needs will help keep your brand relevant.
- Eco-friendly consumption is on the rise. Find ways to align your messaging and choose the right channels to support this.
- Fashion, beauty and home improvements are low on consumer minds. Pivoting your UVP communications to suit new needs is essential.
- Identify the five new consumer archetypes. Each come with a new set of needs. (see image below)
- Brand values, culture, authenticity and a clear moral compass are even more important pillars than ever. Consumers are becoming more invested in brands with a cause. What does your brand stand for in this day and age?
- Buying local, e-commerce, software and home-delivery services are seeing a significant increase in demand. With lockdowns and social distancing policies in place, using the tools and infrastructure at hand to reach your target market becomes paramount.
- We are seeing a dramatic increase in digital media consumption across Gen X, Millennials, Gen Z age groups. The switch to digital has been happening for a while, but now it's a forced and accelerated change.
- Content that entertains is a big need across age groups. Being able to balance your cause with your ability to engage and entertain will give you an edge.
- Communicate value. Consumers are looking at ways to save money and cut costs. With a rise in unemployment and lowered working hours across many sectors, your target audience is likely to be more time and money conscious.
What would be your top tips to include on this list? Have I missed any important insights? Share them below in the comments, I'd love to hear them!
Kosha Hussain is a strategist, curator and artist. His work has been featured in Wired, BBC, The Guardian, Vogue and CNN.
Always happy to connect with like-minded professionals. koshahussain(AT)gmail(DOT)com